Followers

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Action Research Reflection

After reading the assigned readings and participating in the discussion questions I feel that I now have a better understanding of action research.  When I first heard the term, I really had no idea what it was.  In fact, it was a little scary!! 
I now feel much more comfortable with what action research is and what it means.  To me action research is more than just looking up information.  It is actually studying and analyzing what you are researching.  I feel action research gives you the opportunity to experience your topic and be a part of it, live it.  Participating in action research can help you grow as a professional in your craft and also personally by allowing you to look inside what you are researching.  A lot of times when I am researching a topic, I don't feel connected to that topic, but with action research I choose what I am curious about or what I feel needs improvement or more work.  Action research will allow me to truly engage myself in my topic because I am living it and want to see the change or improvement in my campus or district. 
I feel there are many ways to use action research.  It can be used to improve things on your campus, such as student attendance, parent/community involvement, parent communication, and student engagement. 
The way I plan to use action research is on problem based learning.  My current campus has pbl curriculum.  It is an elementary campus and the only one in the district currently implementing pbl.  The district would like to implement pbl on more campuses within the next year.  I am a pbl coach for the district and I have the task of coaching campus teachers on implementation of pbl.  We will have to research the benefits of pbl and its impact on student engagement and test scores.  I feel that this is a great topic for action research.  It lends itself to improving student engagement as well as potential rising test scores.

No comments:

Post a Comment